Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

ICE denies ‘raid’ rumors

U.S. Rep. floats sponsorship idea

Earlier this month, June 10, an ICE spokesperson told a reporter with valleycentral. com (KVEO and CBS4), that “all of their enforcement actions are the result of real evidence of illegal activity. Like human trafficking, money laundering, and fraud. It’s not meant to disrupt work sites.”

The agency is, however, mandated to enforce immigration laws, it said, which gives it wide latitude.

That ICE statement was in response to news that 12 people had recently been arrested in San Benito and Harlingen. For what, apparently ICE wasn’t saying.

The federal agency also said it was aware of concerns circulating throughout South Texas regarding reports of widespread immigration raids but wanted the community to know that these “rumors are often exaggerated and can cause unnecessary panic.”

Too late. According to ICE, Homeland Security investigations conducts enforcement operations based on credible evidence — “not indiscriminate or widespread raids.” (Source: KVEO.)

U.S. Representative Vicente Gonzalez, D-McAllen, sent a letter to the president June 19th, however, that’s asking him to do something sooner, rather than later, which will ease the anxiety among so many Valley workers, because without them, business is grinding to a halt in some sectors.

The Three-Year Plan

In his letter, Rep. Vicente Gonzalez offers President Trump a plan, how to remedy the situation, ease the fears and anxiety among so many locals and get people back to work, who are now in hiding, quite literally: “Like you,” Gonzalez wrote, “I am a strong supporter of legal migration and the apprehension of criminals, which is why I voted in support of legislation like the Laken Riley Act. However, American businesses are being harmed by what you described as a ‘…very aggressive policy…’ “This country is heavily reliant on an undocumented workforce in industries like construction, agriculture, and hospitality.

“That is why I urge you to protect American businesses and issue an executive order that would allow small business to sponsor undocumented migrants who have been in the country for three years and have no criminal record.

“This executive order would provide migrants temporary lawful status on a yearly basis and allow them to continue working without fear of deportation.”

Gonzalez wrote that both political parties know the current immigration system is “broken,” but:

“This is a commonsense solution that moves the needle forward and helps struggling American businesses prosper while creating a temporary path for those who want to contribute to our country in a lawful manner. Together we can work to protect American businesses and grow our workforce. I look forward to hearing from you on this urgent matter.”

So far, Gonzalez has reported no word back from the White House, but did make mention in his letter of the heavy burden mass deportation policies will place on the business sector:

“To put things into perspective, your Administration’s mass deportation policies could stand to remove an estimated 1.5 million workers from the construction workforce; 224,700 workers from the agriculture industry; 1 million workers in the hospitality industry; 460,500 workers in transportation and warehousing; 870,400 workers in the manufacturing industry; and 500,800 workers in general services.”

That includes, wrote Gonzalez, people who work in auto repair, barber shops, and dry-cleaning services.

“As undocumented labor is difficult to gauge, the true impact on our economy could be significantly higher.”

Advance Publishing Company

217 W. Park Avenue
Pharr, TX 78577