Taco Olé manager arrested for allegedly hiring illegal aliens
A manager of a local restaurant has been arrested for allegedly hiring, employing and harboring more than a dozen people who were living in the country illegally, a Friday news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.
On July 10, authorities took Juan Ramirez Cortez into custody. Cortez, who is the manager of Taco Olé in Mission, faces federal charges for the alleged hiring and firing of employees, filling out employment paperwork, as well as checking immigration documentation of employees, the release said.
A criminal complaint alleges that Cortez hired at least 10 illegal aliens. It is reported that 17 other people were arrested by authorities — all who were living in the country illegally.
The arrest at the Mission restaurant is part of the recent enforcement actions by ICE in which officers arrest undocumented workers — or any who are in the country illegally.
Back in February, the region can recall when Abby’s Bakery in Los Fresnos experienced a similar action when the owners were arrested and charged with harboring undocumented workers. Last month, there were the ICE arrests at the Alamo Flea Market.
However, it’s not just restaurants that are being raided. Construction sites in Brownsville and South Padre Island also experienced ICE arrests last month.
The Valley isn’t the only region where these ICE raids are occurring, but on the West coast as well — more specifically, California. In recent news, outlets such as the Los Angeles Times reported that an ICE raid at a cannabis facility left one person dead.
The individual — Jaime Alanís Garcia — was reported by outlets (AP, CNN) that he fell from a greenhouse roof during an immigration raid. He died Saturday from his injuries. He was 57.
As of press time, Cortez will remain in custody until his hearing, which was scheduled for Tuesday, July 15. On Wednesday, the harboring charges that Cortez was facing have been dropped, according to court records. However, the other charges he has remain pending.
Local supporters of the restaurant took to social media to show their backing of the restaurant with some comments saying they “love” the food and the service that the establishment brings.
The restaurant itself shared a Facebook post commenting on the recent event.
“As we continue to navigate this challenging time, we are grateful for the outpouring of encouragement and support from our community and friends. It’s this kind of kindness and solidarity that keeps us going and reminds us how fortunate we are to be part of such a caring network,” the restaurant said in the post.
The restaurant took to Facebook on Wednesday to say that they are open for business.
If convicted, Cortez faces up to five years in federal prison.
Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect the current charges against Cortez and operations for the business.
